With the UK’s Muslim population now running at 3.1 million people – including 1.1 million in London alone – entrepreneurs are increasingly recognising the potential for businesses developed for the Islamic market at home and abroad. Here are five such ventures already on their way.
- HalalEat – HalalEast is a British start-up with a mission to bring halal food to the masses
- Islamic GPS – London-based Islamic GPS, launched by Ikbal Hussain in 2016, is an augmented reality app that allows users to find mosques and Islamic landmarks around the world.
- Halal Dining Club – The Halal Dining Club is aimed at halal diners looking to discover, review, book and get rewards from restaurants all in one place.
- Muzmatch – Muzmatch bills itself as the app where single Muslims meet.
- Haute Elan – Haute Elan was founded in London in 2013, selling online “modest fashion” to a customer base in more than 200 countries globally.